[IAEP] Best video introduction to sugar?

Eben Eliason eben.eliason at gmail.com
Tue Oct 7 13:07:56 EDT 2008

On Tue, Oct 7, 2008 at 12:40 PM, Marco Pesenti Gritti
<mpgritti at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 7, 2008 at 6:07 PM, Bert Freudenberg <bert at freudenbergs.de> wrote:
>>
>> Am 07.10.2008 um 14:04 schrieb Marco Pesenti Gritti:

>>> By making them play at fixed times (and syncing the clock, sort of).
>>

>> Is that code available? Or at least a full-screen flash player? When showing
>> http://interdimensionmedia.com/scratch/MoMA/demo.html in Browse on the XO,
>> unfortunately the demo cannot go to an unembellished full screen.
>
> Eben, do we have the latest image somewhere?

Hmmm, I have a directory for it, but it only contains the .crc file.
Oddly missing is the .img itself, so it seems I don't actually have
it.  After a little digging, I found the links to it; it appears
you're still hosting the files in your d.l.o space.  I'm downloading
them again so I have an archive.  Here are the links:

http://dev.laptop.org/~marco/demo.crc
http://dev.laptop.org/~marco/demo.img

>> And, what would it take to translate the demo?
>
> I think Eben hacked the presentation up in Flash or Illustrator. So he
> would need to translate and regenerate the video.

Translating would take some effort.  The process was broken down into
2 parts: static and dynamic.  The static content (backgrounds, really)
were generated slide by slide in Illustrator.  I have the source files
for each slide -- there are (literally and precisely) 100 of them,
across both screens.  The static backgrounds were then imported into
Flash and used as a backdrop for the dynamic content, which included
all of the palettes, and other interactive text such as the typing
segment.

Fortunately, I believe that these were imported as vector objects,
rather than as images, which means that it should be possible to edit
the text within them directly within the Flash document, rather than
having to individually edit and export each Illustrator file again.
After editing all of the static text fields, we'd then need to
translate the various method calls on each slide in the timeline which
define the palettes and other dynamic content.  This should be
somewhat straightforward, since the system used to create palettes,
animate the cursor, transition between slides, etc. was all carefully
thought out to make creating the actual animation fairly simple.

It's still a fair amount of work overall, but specifically because the
text can all be edited within Flash and then re-exported, it should be
possible.

- Eben