[IAEP] Fwd: [sugar] Narrative

Walter Bender walter.bender at gmail.com
Sun Oct 5 14:20:07 EDT 2008

On Sun, Oct 5, 2008 at 2:06 PM, David Farning <dfarning at sugarlabs.org> wrote:
> This takes us back to the collaboration server discussions from last week.
>
> Rather than attempting to organizing content it may be preferable to improve
> the tools which help users self organize into communities.
>
> Last night I got into a discussion about the value of the Neighborhood view
> with my 2nd grade niece:)  She was pretty befuddled as to why she had to
> chose between belkin_019, linksys_1, meshview_11,....  From her perspective
> it made more sense to click on 'Mrs. Kings class' if she wanted to do her
> homework, or 'After school fun' if she wanted to talk with her friends.
>
> While the idea of APs and mesh networks is important to us as geeks and
> developers.  From a user point of view the idea of virtual communities or
> rooms seems clearer.
>
> Maybe it is my misunderstanding of the nature of a jabber sever.  A IRC
> server is pretty useless until the users can self select into channels.
>
> Possibly, the idea of manipulating narratives could be best handled by
> helping communities develop which can discover, share, and reflect on
> _their_own_ stories.
>
> thanks
> david
>
> On Sun, Oct 5, 2008 at 11:39 AM, Walter Bender <walter.bender at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> We need to add an its.an.education.project alias to this list...
>>
>> -walter

I like your niece's model of the neighborhood view--maybe we can have
some way of generating aliases for the various APs based upon which
Jabber server you are on; the Jabber servers themselves could have
nicknames too, based on their intended constituency. But it skirts the
question of what tools communities use to organize content and
generate their narratives.

-walter

--
Walter Bender