[IAEP] [Olpc-open] G1G1 (was Re: [Community-news] OLPC News (2008-09-29))

Sameer Verma sverma at sfsu.edu
Sat Oct 4 19:09:30 EDT 2008

On Sat, Oct 4, 2008 at 3:42 PM, Edward Cherlin <echerlin at gmail.com> wrote:
> Update: Some of the computer press has picked up the story.
>
> But we could be all over the Mainstream Media, including having
> Nicholas, Walter, Alan and others on all the talk shows. If they are
> willing. Are any of you? This is the one time of year when ordering
> something you can't get is a positive. We should aim for something
> ridiculous, like a million units. (Although we shouldn't say that to
> the media in so many words.) And then we should provide daily tracking
> of order numbers and of production lead times, to encourage yet more
> people to order as early as possible.
>
> We should be playing up the connection with the 40th anniversary of
> the Dynabook idea, and of Doug Engelbart's Mother of All Demos. I have
> been in contact with him and his people, and I know that they are keen
> on that. We should be doing T-shirts, mugs, stickers, replica mice,
> and all the rest of the merchandising, and getting several books
> published. Why anybody at OLPC would want to waste the best marketing
> time in the year is utterly beyond me.
>
> If you don't think my opinion counts, ask Amazon.

I agree with Ed Cherlin in that if G1G1v2 begins in 5 weeks, now is
the time to get the campaign going. Five weeks isn't a lot of time.
What I'd look for in the efforts this year is something a bit more
orchestrated. Materials (posters, cards, stickers, shirts, etc) all
coming across with a consistency in branding, image, look-n-feel, etc.
If we do merchandise from somebody like Cafepress, we don't have to
get into the business of printing, cutting etc.

I cannot setup shop at Cafepress because the logos involved aren't my
copyright, but if someone from OLPC initiates, I'd be glad to help.

Sameer
--
Dr. Sameer Verma, Ph.D.
San Francisco State University