[IAEP] Jabber server - summary

Martin Dengler martin at martindengler.com
Thu Oct 2 18:57:57 EDT 2008

On Thu, Oct 02, 2008 at 12:51:45PM -0500, David Farning wrote:
> As a summary to the jabber server thread .
[...]
> The challenge with jabber (xmpp)  is that the protocol does not scale well.
> As the number of users increases, the overhead required to manage the users
> increases.  The two problems are bandwidth usage and server load.

This is a nit and I'm not the expert - but I didn't think the protocol
or bandwidth are the issues.  There is a limitation of [something]
that requires an undesirable server configuration (shared roster
"hack") that causes high server load and low performance / server
crashes.  There are plenty of [federations of] jabber servers out
there that handle many more users than we're envisioning supporting.

> thanks
> david

Martin