[IAEP] Jabber Server

Gary C Martin gary at garycmartin.com
Thu Oct 2 11:05:46 EDT 2008

On 2 Oct 2008, at 06:19, John Watlington wrote:

>> Oh yes, please!!! That goes for the community of Sugar testers too,
>> it's been an absolute <insert your favourite noun profanity> trying
>> find working jabberd servers to smoke test activity sharing et al.
>> And
>> my goodness do we need more testing there...
>
> I'm sorry.  Try schoolserver.media.mit.edu or schoolserver.laptop.org.
> These have been running for a year.

Thanks John, both are responding I tested with:

	echo qwerty | nc <server_host_name> 5222

...and I get the expected xml error response.

The schoolserver.laptop.org appears to be empty of buddies, but
schoolserver.media.mit.edu is showing 7 (including my XO).

I guess what's needed given, the small size of the testing community,
is an occasional collaboration test day where a bunch of us hammer on
the activities that support sharing, look for ways of using their
features, file tickets for bugs or features, and write up some
examples* of sharing work flow.

* I recently noticed Pippy source code sharing does work, but just
provides a snapshot of the current source, no live editing/updating.
I'm not sure what happens when more than one other buddy connects (I'm
guessing the initial Pippy is acting as a master and handing out
whatever is in its current source buffer). With a combination of
Pippy, and Chat for co-ordination, you could collaboratively code. It
would be more of a branch effect as merging would currently be a
little tricky (paste your work into new clean Pippy instance, share
it, expect others to copy paste in you changes). The current branch
like behaviour could still be a good way to teach some coding, perhaps
the Teacher starts with a simple text adventure template, the kids
share it and each modify it to make their own simple adventure stories.

** Just discovered that browse likes to download .py files into your
Journal. By default on my XO it seems to want to use Words to
resume .py files (which is no use what so ever), Pippy is the other
option if you go the the Journal detail page. I was hoping Write would
accept the .py text file (for live collaboration), but it won't resume
the .py file or allow it to be pasted in.***

*** I guess you could use Write in 'Plain Text' mode and work
collaboratively that way, copy and pasting back over into a Private
Pippy activity for testing/running.

These kinds of workflow need smoothing out, or in their current state,
require very well planned out and tested lesson plans.

--Gary