[IAEP] Jabber Server

Robert McQueen robert.mcqueen at collabora.co.uk
Thu Oct 2 05:53:39 EDT 2008

Morgan Collett wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 2, 2008 at 06:44, John Watlington <wad at laptop.org> wrote:
>> Reuben is working on getting jabber.laptop.org back online.
>> We have no problem hosting a server or two at OLPC, indeed,
>> we are looking to do so in order to provide realistic tests of the
>> ejabber server provided with the school server.

Great news.

>> Feel free to also set up a school server at a known DNS location, and
>> publicize it.   It is the easiest way to install and stay current with
>> the Sugar presence server:
>> http://wiki.laptop.org/go/XS_Server_Installation
>>
>> wad
>
> From previous experience with jabber.laptop.org, please arrange for it
> to be monitored, and restarted automatically when not responsive. Rob
> McQueen had something to handle that previously (or perhaps it was on
> olpc.collabora.co.uk). It was frustrating when we had to wait several
> hours on a regular basis to get someone with appropriate powers
> (physical proximity or remote privileges) to reboot the service or (as
> was sometimes necessary) the box itself.

On j.l.o in the past I set up monit with a config file file to check
that it could still connect to port 5222, and if not to restart the
jabber server. However I don't think my configuration was that good
because I remember it failing to restart automatically on several
occasions, but that kind of thing is definitely possible.

> Regards
> Morgan

Regards,
Rob

--
Robert McQueen                                 +44 7876 562 564
Director, Collabora Ltd.             http://www.collabora.co.uk