[IAEP] Sugar on a Stick - How might a Sugar USB experience work in practice?

David Farning dfarning at sugarlabs.org
Wed Oct 1 23:44:41 EDT 2008

On Wed, Oct 1, 2008 at 8:37 AM, Caroline Meeks
<caroline at solutiongrove.com>wrote:

> Hi Jonas and Alan,
>
> I agree with your thoughts here.  Certainly the distribution we use should
> not make it easy to see the host computer's hard-drive.

It is pretty straight forward to modify the CD/USB login menu to remove the
install options and leave only the run live option.

> A harder problem is someone booting up with a different boot USB/CD.  Most
> of the school computers I have met already allow boot by CD so that risk is
> already there.

Yes, this is not a Sugar specific issue.  If the computer already allows
boot by CD, the hacking tool of choice for second graders everywhere will
not be Sugar.

>   However, it would be good to think about how we can minimize the risk to
> the network.

This is going to be an issue.  When we get to the issue of school servers we
can leverage off the work OLPC has been doing.

thanks
david