[IAEP] [bytesforall_readers] USAID has launched GlobalDevelopmentCommons.

Edward Cherlin echerlin at gmail.com
Sun Nov 30 16:07:00 EST 2008

On Sun, Nov 30, 2008 at 12:14 PM, Walter Bender <walter.bender at gmail.com> wrote:
> +1 to focus, however, I think the focus should be on ironing out the
> Sugar-on-a-Stick details rather than focusing on an activity. If we
> can demonstrate a simple clear model of getting Sugar running in a
> classroom setting, that'd be very powerful. But maybe we need to write
> two proposals, because Jameson's is quite compelling too.
>
> -walter

+1 to both projects. We can come up with many more of these focused
projects. Adam Hyde of FLOSS Manuals and I and others have been
discussing possible interactive textbook projects. The world can
absorb any likely amount of funding for village infrastructure and
accompanying technology transfer, up into the tens of billions of
dollars a year. An XO-2 for $75 would enable rollout to all the
billion children of the world for less than $25 billion annually, not
including electricity Internet, or teacher training, but we can cost
those, too.

I want to introduce USAID to the Grand Plan, too. How does OLPC/Sugar
fit into a Global Marshall Plan, including integration among
education, village electricity and Internet, microfinance for
international businesses, technology-aware curriculum and interactive
textbooks for every essential subject (including health, civics,
business, and so on)...How do we meet all of the Millennium
Development Goals and more, right to the end of poverty, war, and
oppression even in Burma and North Korea? How much does it all cost,
and for how long?

My rough calculation gives $50 billion annually for a generation,
comparable with the cost of the Iraq war alone.

And Children are my nation.