[IAEP] [bytesforall_readers] USAID has launched GlobalDevelopmentCommons.

Walter Bender walter.bender at gmail.com
Sun Nov 30 15:14:16 EST 2008

+1 to focus, however, I think the focus should be on ironing out the
Sugar-on-a-Stick details rather than focusing on an activity. If we
can demonstrate a simple clear model of getting Sugar running in a
classroom setting, that'd be very powerful. But maybe we need to write
two proposals, because Jameson's is quite compelling too.

-walter

On Sun, Nov 30, 2008 at 2:14 PM, Jameson Chema Quinn
<jquinn at cs.oberlin.edu> wrote:
> The list of projects there are more focused than just sugar in general; more
> appropriate for the $10,000 price level. If "we" want to compete, we should
> agree on a focused feature that we could promise for that kind of money. I'd
> nominate something about collaboration - getting collaboration really
> working well for just Write would be great. Really working well means the
> whole workflow from a teacher's perspective: giving an assignment to several
> groups; having the groups collaboratively create documents, including both
> synchronous and asynchronous sessions; getting the first draft; adding
> teacher comments and handing it back; getting a second draft; etc. This
> should all work in various networking scenarios. Bonus points if making
> sugar/nonsugar collaboration work is easy. Other bonus points if it
> strengthens bemasc's "without even trying" auto-collaborating python data
> structures.
>
> Clearly, to make the idea more attractive and likely to win, we'd have to
> emphasize that Sugar can work on non-OLPC platforms. Improving Sugar's
> portability could be left out, included as part of the same proposal, or be
> its own separate proposal. I'd vote to include some of that work as part of
> the same proposal.
>
> Jameson
>
> On Sun, Nov 30, 2008 at 12:28 AM, Edward Cherlin <echerlin at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> I take back the taking back. They _do_ accept new ideas, but not on
>> the usaid.gov site or the globaldevelopmentcommons.net site. You have
>> to go to
>>
>> http://www.netsquared.org/usaid.

>> Once the project submission process has closed, we will hold a
>> community vote to select the top fifteen projects. Those projects will
>> then go in front of a panel of USAID-selected judges who will
>> determine the three winners.
>>
>> OK, here goes nothing.

Walter Bender
Sugar Labs