[IAEP] [bytesforall_readers] USAID has launched GlobalDevelopmentCommons.

Jameson "Chema" Quinn jquinn at cs.oberlin.edu
Sun Nov 30 14:14:45 EST 2008

The list of projects there are more focused than just sugar in general; more
appropriate for the $10,000 price level. If "we" want to compete, we should
agree on a focused feature that we could promise for that kind of money. I'd
nominate something about collaboration - getting collaboration really
working well for just Write would be great. Really working well means the
whole workflow from a teacher's perspective: giving an assignment to several
groups; having the groups collaboratively create documents, including both
synchronous and asynchronous sessions; getting the first draft; adding
teacher comments and handing it back; getting a second draft; etc. This
should all work in various networking scenarios. Bonus points if making
sugar/nonsugar collaboration work is easy. Other bonus points if it
strengthens bemasc's "without even trying" auto-collaborating python data
structures.

Clearly, to make the idea more attractive and likely to win, we'd have to
emphasize that Sugar can work on non-OLPC platforms. Improving Sugar's
portability could be left out, included as part of the same proposal, or be
its own separate proposal. I'd vote to include some of that work as part of
the same proposal.

Jameson