[IAEP] [bytesforall_readers] USAID has launched GlobalDevelopmentCommons.

Edward Cherlin echerlin at gmail.com
Sun Nov 30 01:28:21 EST 2008

I take back the taking back. They _do_ accept new ideas, but not on
the usaid.gov site or the globaldevelopmentcommons.net site. You have
to go to

http://www.netsquared.org/usaid.

Update: We've extended the deadline for Project submissions to
December 5, 2008.

USAID is proud to announce the launch of the 2008 USAID Development
2.0 Challenge. Brought to you by the Global Development Commons.

Mobile technology, including everything from inventive applications
for smart phones to simple text messaging, is increasingly ubiquitous
in the developing world. USAID challenges you to explore its potential
through an innovation for maximum development impact in areas such as
health, banking, education, agricultural trade, or other pressing
development issues.

The U.S. Agency for International Development (USAID), the U.S.
Government agency that delivers economic and humanitarian assistance
worldwide on behalf of the American people, is sponsoring a challenge
to find the best in mobile innovations for good. Through a NetSquared
community vote, fifteen finalists will be chosen. A panel of judges,
selected by USAID, will then select the winners. The first place
winner will receive a grant of $10,000, the two runner-ups will
receive grants of $5,000 each. All three winners will have the
opportunity to present their ideas to senior USAID officials, experts,
and the public in Washington D.C.

Here's How It Works:
Individuals and organizations working with mobile technologies to
create change are invited to share their projects with the community
through the USAID Development 2.0 Challenge submission form. Once
you've hit submit for your challenge, it's public. This provides you
with an opportunity to get feedback from your community, the USAID
community, the NetSquared community and other friendly collaborators.

Once the project submission process has closed, we will hold a
community vote to select the top fifteen projects. Those projects will
then go in front of a panel of USAID-selected judges who will
determine the three winners.

OK, here goes nothing.