[IAEP] chatzilla IRC

Morgan Collett morgan.collett at gmail.com
Thu Nov 27 06:45:26 EST 2008

On Thu, Nov 27, 2008 at 13:22, Bert Freudenberg <bert at freudenbergs.de> wrote:

> On 27.11.2008, at 11:41, Bill Kerr wrote:
>> issues for newbies like me (things which joel / shenki explained to
>> me separately):
>>
>> * it appears that 60 people are in the room but many are not there
>
> That's mostly an issue of time zone, and secondly of getting attention.
>
> The trick with time zones is matching a world clock against the sleep
> schedule of certain professions ;)

Some of us are so addicted to IRC that we leave our machines logged in
overnight, so we can catch up on what happened or allow others to
leave us messages... :)

> The trick with getting attention is to direct messages at specific
> persons, like "bertf: etoys saving works again, yay!". This is a
> regular message, everyone can see it, but most IRC clients beep and
> highlight such a line if the user's nick name is mentioned literally.
>
> There is a third part of course, matching nick names to real persons.
> It's one of my pet peeves that people need to role-play in otherwise
> serious conversations, but it apparently is one of those odd habits
> that's not going to fade.
>
> One trick with that is "/whois nick" which might actually report the
> real name. More reliably, some users list their IRC nick at
>
> http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Category:IRC_users

Also, feel free to just ask questions or make comments - somebody's
bound to notice and tell you the relevant person's nick to whom you
can direct your questions.

Regards
Morgan "morgs" Collett