[IAEP] teams vs. projects

Sameer Verma sverma at sfsu.edu
Wed Nov 26 15:54:40 EST 2008

On Wed, Nov 26, 2008 at 10:19 AM, Bernie Innocenti <bernie at codewiz.org> wrote:
> Sameer Verma wrote:
>> dotProject (http://www.dotproject.net/) and Project.net
>> (http://www.project.net/) are good candidates. They are both FOSS,
>> although I haven't had much luck locating Project.net's FOSS license.
>> Their Bus. Dev. guy tells me that the next release will be GPLv3.
>
> dotProject is marked as "other/proprietary license" on SourceForge.

Actually dotProject is under GPLv2
(http://sourceforge.net/projects/dotproject/), while Project.net is
marked Proprietary/other. Project.net is under "commercial open
source" license, whatever that means. I did not get a clear answer out
of their Business Dev VP. He kept talking in circles and finally said
that the next release was going to be GPLv3.

> Redmine (http://www.redmine.org/) seemed like a promising clone of
> trac more oriented towards project management.

Yes, I remember Bryan Berry (OLE Nepal) mentioning it a while back.

> I proposed evaluating
> it some time ago, but the developers are too used to trac to consider
> switching.

Trac does have a Gantt module written in Python
(http://willbarton.com/code/tracgantt/) and we looked at it a while
back for SF State. We use Trac for managing our iLearn (branded Moodle
install) system and wanted some PM charts such as Gantt. We found the
granularity provided by this module to be too large to be useful. It
tracks milestones instead of tickets.

Maybe someone here could hack it to make it more suitable.

cheers,
Sameer

--
Dr. Sameer Verma, Ph.D.