[IAEP] Library content, the largest future group of contributors

Tomeu Vizoso tomeu at tomeuvizoso.net
Tue Nov 25 14:20:09 EST 2008

Hi, a few comments below:

On Sun, Nov 23, 2008 at 9:05 PM, Edward Cherlin <echerlin at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 23, 2008 at 1:09 PM, C.W. Holeman II
> <cwhii_cplo at julianlocals.com> wrote:
>
>> The issues for new outsiders:
>>
>> - There is documentation and notes that assume an XO machine vs Sugar
>> running on an Ubuntu system.
>
> Actually, you should test software using an emulated XO in VMWare or qemu.
> http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Emulation

How so? SugarLabs software is going to be used in several platforms
and we need people testing in all of them. If some supported platforms
don't run Sugar well, we need to find people who fix them.

>> - What is supposed to be the same and what is expected to be different?
>
> Many things do not work on Ubuntu at present. Do not use it for
> testing new Activities.

Well, I think that Ubuntu 8.10 with the stock Sugar (0.82) works quite
well for testing activities. Not saying there aren't bugs, though.

sugar-devel at sugarlabs.org or enter a bug in dev.sugarlabs.org

>> - Where are the pointers to the proper bug tracking system?
>
> http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Trac

Please don't enter tickets in dev.laptop.org if you aren't using
OLPC's platform. OLPC staff is very time constrained and cannot care
about other platforms like Ubuntu.

Please file tickets in dev.sugarlabs.org.

See http://sugarlabs.org/go/DevelopmentTeam/Release/Roadmap

> I don't understand the question. What are you trying to do?
>
>> - The multi-platform (XO, Ubuntu, Windows emulation) nature adds complexity.
>
> No doubt. But solve one at a time. If you have an XO, you can test on
> it. If not, use the emulation. Leave packaging and testing for other
> Linux distributions to the packaging teams.

Well, I would say test whatever platform you care about, be it OLPC's,
Debian, Ubuntu, Fedora, etc

Regards,

Tomeu