[IAEP] PMs (was Re: teams vs. projects)

Walter Bender walter.bender at gmail.com
Tue Nov 25 13:06:24 EST 2008

I think that we are all talking across each other to some extent. I
think Greg's initial message echoes the call for clarity of goal or
purpose. This is the most important role that Sugar Labs can play in
the community. I read into Ralph's note that when it comes to the
execution of a goal, at least some organizational structure has proven
value. I'd want to apply Ralph's criteria to achieving a specific
means, although leaving the determination of means to the community is
a hallmark of many open-source projects--one that I subscribe to.

-walter

On Tue, Nov 25, 2008 at 12:44 PM, Martin Dengler
<martin at martindengler.com> wrote:
> [sorry to reply to GP]

>> > I have to express the contrary view here, based on 15 years of consulting
>> > experience.
>> > If the teams are involved in delivery, there needs to be roles involved in
>> > keeping things
>> > on track, especially in a meritocracy like an open source effort.
>
> Having 15 years of software development experience (as I'm sure many
> other people do - don't want to say I'm the most-/best-qualified), I
> disagree and agree with Walter/gregdek.  More clarity and simplicity
> of vision, more development, less talking and bug-tracking and
> emailing.
>
>> > Infrastructure is needed, but there need to be about 3 'PM' roles (there are
>> > 3 sense of PM)
>
> Please, please, no.  The last thing contributors want to have to wade
> through is another set of byzantine socio-/meta-technical rules to
> become contributors.
>
> Martin

Walter Bender
Sugar Labs