[IAEP] PMs (was Re: teams vs. projects)

Martin Dengler martin at martindengler.com
Tue Nov 25 12:44:55 EST 2008

[sorry to reply to GP]

> On Tue, Nov 25, 2008 at 3:30 AM, Ralph Hyre <ralphw at gmail.com> wrote:
> >> [gregdek wrote]

> >> Agreed.
> >>
> >> Project management is a pain in the ass[...]

> > I have to express the contrary view here, based on 15 years of consulting
> > experience.
> > If the teams are involved in delivery, there needs to be roles involved in
> > keeping things
> > on track, especially in a meritocracy like an open source effort.

Having 15 years of software development experience (as I'm sure many
other people do - don't want to say I'm the most-/best-qualified), I
disagree and agree with Walter/gregdek.  More clarity and simplicity
of vision, more development, less talking and bug-tracking and
emailing.

> > Infrastructure is needed, but there need to be about 3 'PM' roles (there are
> > 3 sense of PM)

Please, please, no.  The last thing contributors want to have to wade
through is another set of byzantine socio-/meta-technical rules to
become contributors.

Martin