[IAEP] [sugar] list of complaints from sugarcamp community building talk

Gary C Martin gary at garycmartin.com
Mon Nov 24 19:28:13 EST 2008

On 24 Nov 2008, at 22:04, Edward Cherlin wrote:

> On Mon, Nov 24, 2008 at 2:15 AM, Simon Schampijer
> <simon at schampijer.de> wrote:
>>> Definitely a problem. We are thinking about having a landing page
>>> similar to the one in http://www.eclipse.org/ that hopefully will
>>> give
>>> a way for everybody to find how to better interact with us depending
>>> on their role. The idea is that a prospecting developer would just
>>> click on one of those icons and would find a simple explanation of
>>> the
>>> first concepts that need to be grabbed in order to move forward. How
>>> does that sound?

>>> Yeah, we should understand better this issue. Is a coder-newbies
>>> mailing list a valid suggestion?
>>
>> Hmmm, I think we should not split those up. In my opinion all we
>> can do,
>> is to point out clearly that all contributions and questions as
>> easy or
>> as hard they are, are valid and welcome. We all started there, and I
>> understand it is not always easy to ask 'stupid' questions, but I
>> think
>> it is important to produce a culture and atmosphere where this is
>> possible.
>
> A FAQ will help a lot, particularly if somebody takes ownership and
> makes sure to capture questions and get answers from the experts.
>
> A set of introductory programming manuals on Python, PyGame, SciPy,
> and Etoys will help more. We can discuss this with FLOSS Manuals. Let
> Adam Hyde and me know which ones you would like to have, and which
> ones others ask you for.

Just a nit pick, SciPy is much replaced by Numpy though SciPy still
overlaps enough the documentation seems pretty useful. ~Was
considering a cellular automata type brick coding activity using
numpy, sort of turtleart for arrays, and no turtle. Conway's game of
life being the basic starting sampler.

--Gary