[IAEP] [sugar] list of complaints from sugarcamp community building talk

Edward Cherlin echerlin at gmail.com
Mon Nov 24 17:04:14 EST 2008

On Mon, Nov 24, 2008 at 2:15 AM, Simon Schampijer <simon at schampijer.de> wrote:
>> Definitely a problem. We are thinking about having a landing page
>> similar to the one in http://www.eclipse.org/ that hopefully will give
>> a way for everybody to find how to better interact with us depending
>> on their role. The idea is that a prospecting developer would just
>> click on one of those icons and would find a simple explanation of the
>> first concepts that need to be grabbed in order to move forward. How
>> does that sound?
>>
>>> olpc-dev list emails are kind of over my head
>>
>> Yeah, we should understand better this issue. Is a coder-newbies
>> mailing list a valid suggestion?
>
> Hmmm, I think we should not split those up. In my opinion all we can do,
> is to point out clearly that all contributions and questions as easy or
> as hard they are, are valid and welcome. We all started there, and I
> understand it is not always easy to ask 'stupid' questions, but I think
> it is important to produce a culture and atmosphere where this is possible.

A FAQ will help a lot, particularly if somebody takes ownership and
makes sure to capture questions and get answers from the experts.

A set of introductory programming manuals on Python, PyGame, SciPy,
and Etoys will help more. We can discuss this with FLOSS Manuals. Let
Adam Hyde and me know which ones you would like to have, and which
ones others ask you for.

I am working on creating a newsletter for those interested in joining
Sugar work. We have two volunteers so far from Olin Coll. of Eng.,
motivated by the fact that they can't find the news on OLPC (Who can?)
and that they have had difficulties finding out how to participate.
Articles on elementary Sugar programming and on opportunities for
activities will be welcome, as will progress reports whenever you have
a significant accomplishment or need help. I sent over my links to
laptop news sources, and some references on a multitude of games that
people can program if they like. We will collect many other resources.

We will also include suggestions for curriculum, textbooks, and
content. The idea is that anybody can participate, because everybody
knows something that the children need. In particular we need
subject-matter experts (SMEs) in every school subject and every kind
of business, research, government, or whatever. Also artists, writers,
reviewers, testers, localizers, translators, and so on and on.

> So I argue, to please use sugar-devel for those discussions.

+1 unless the Sugar Newbies tell us otherwise. We also have other
lists appropriate for content and the rest.

>    Simon

And Children are my nation.