[IAEP] Collaboration on ubuntu

Morgan Collett morgan.collett at gmail.com
Mon Nov 24 06:43:25 EST 2008

On Mon, Nov 24, 2008 at 10:04, Stanley Sokolow <overbyte at earthlink.net> wrote:
> I'm having a similar invisibility problem, but involving an XO and a
> different laptop.  I just received my G1G1 XO. Wanting to emulate
> another XO, I installed Sugar LiveCD on a Toshiba. The XO and Toshiba
> each can see and connect to my wireless AP (and other APs in the area),
> and browse the Internet okay, but they don't see each other on
> Neighborhood view. However, after various retries, they happened to see
> each other once and I could invite & collaborate on activities for that
> short session, but can't repeat it. I notice that they will momentarily
> appear on Neighborhood view on both laptops sometimes when I first
> connect the Toshiba to the wireless AP, but the icons disappear from
> Neighborhood in a few seconds. I'm using a cardbus wireless D-Link
> WNA-2330. They are located in the same room with nothing but air between
> them. The XO is running build 708. I've looked at mailing list archives,
> but don't see any other report like this. Any suggestions?

Hi Stanley

Your subject mentions Ubuntu. Which Sugar LiveCD did you install?
Which Ubuntu version are you running?

Secondly, please check what the value of the jabber server field is:
in a Terminal activity, run "sugar-control-panel -g jabber". I suspect
that the LiveCD has an incorrect default value there, and you should
set it to the same value as the XO (which would actually set them both
to be a non-existant server, rather than a partially-working one).

You can set the jabber server with "sugar-control-panel -s jabber
<servername>" and then you need to restart Sugar on that machine.

They should then both "fail" to connect to a jabber server, and see
each other with the serverless collaboration mode on your wireless
LAN.

Let me know if that works or not.

Regards
Morgan