[IAEP] Proposal: IRC channel and mailing list for support

Luke Faraone luke at laptop.org
Sun Nov 23 17:22:31 EST 2008

n Sun, Nov 23, 2008 at 17:16, Caroline Meeks <caroline at solutiongrove.com>wrote:

> Do we want to use IRC for this?  IRC is not that familiar to nondevelopers.
>
> I do like the idea of a synchronous place to get help.  We have a Moodle
> install and that can have chat but who would be there to answer the
> questions?

That's the problem: All the developers/techies use IRC currently, telling
them to open up a web page and stay in their browser isn't going to work.
Segmenting the community across two real-time-chat mediums is not the way to
go.

We could use the window into IRC on the wiki page idea that came up
> earlier.

Yes, that was what I was thinking. Currently we have a non-embedded setup at
http://sugarlabs.org/go/Communication_channels , eventually we will be able
to embed Mibbit. (try clicking on a channel name on that page)

If we do we should be sure to also include instructions on how to use IRC
> with other clients.  Our goal has to be to recruit a certain percentage of
> the question askers to be question answers or we'll never scale.

That would be trivial to do, and is a good idea.

-lf