[IAEP] [sugar] list of complaints from sugarcamp community building talk

Caroline Meeks caroline at solutiongrove.com
Sun Nov 23 09:10:35 EST 2008

On Sun, Nov 23, 2008 at 4:10 AM, Bernie Innocenti <bernie at laptop.org> wrote:

> Elsa Culler wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Last night at sugarcamp, we(people from the Olin college OLPC chapter)
> > were asked to come up with a list of roadblocks  we have run into in
> > trying to volunteer effectively.  Mel Chua asked me to forward it to
> > these lists, so here is the list in text format:
>
> Thanks for this criticism, I'm sure it is very appreciated.
> Some comments inlined below:
>

> > we have to come up with jobs ourselves, and we're not too good at it
> >
> > we don't know what we can do that is useful
> >
> > when we are told what to do, we have to check with other people to make
> > sure it's ok
>
> I think communication would improve a lot if it was kept on the
> public channels such as these lists, or the #sugar channel on
> irc.freenode.net.
>

> Note that most nondevelopers have not even heard of irc.

Somewhere easy to find on the wiki we need some text that explains one easy
way to connect so people can get started.  Here is some suggested text,
maybe we can discuss it here then put it into the wiki.

Sugar Labs meetings are held on IRC (Internet Relay Chat).  It is one of the
first chat systems for the internet and is still preferred by many open
source developers.

There are many programs to use IRC.  One easy way is to download the
ChatZilla addon for FireFox.

Once the add on is installed open it from the Tools Menu of FF.
(Could someone test what it does the first time, before you've told it your
nick name?)
It will open a new window with some text.  Click "freenode" in the available
networks.
It will take a second to connect and text will scroll on your screen.
Type /j #Sugar

You will now see a list of people in the Sugar room. Say Hello and join the
conversation!

--
Caroline Meeks
Solution Grove