[IAEP] list of complaints from sugarcamp community building talk

Elsa Culler eculler at gmail.com
Thu Nov 20 15:53:19 EST 2008

Hi,

Last night at sugarcamp, we(people from the Olin college OLPC chapter) were
asked to come up with a list of roadblocks  we have run into in trying to
volunteer effectively.  Mel Chua asked me to forward it to these lists, so
here is the list in text format:

we have to come up with jobs ourselves, and we're not too good at it

we don't know what we can do that is useful

when we are told what to do, we have to check with other people to make sure
it's ok

we don't have easy access to cool things that are going on in OLPC that
would get people excited

 -for example - it would make people excited just to hear accounts of
deployments

most meetings happen when we are in class and we don't know what happened or
give input

 - especially with commute (it takes us 1;30 hrs to get here)

it's difficult to find out what OLPC does beyond the broad mission-statement
sort of thing

it took me 6 months to figure out how to use irc, i still don't know where
trac is

olpc-dev list emails are kind of over my head

where are things? (on wiki, etc)

note - if you teach us how stuff works we can tell more people/translate the
information

I would like to develop activities, but up until now I didn't even know it
was up for grabs

Thanks for listening!

Yours Truly,

Elsa Culler