[IAEP] Teacher in OLPC-Sur list enchanted to see his idea, integrated into global Sugar

Greg Smith gregsmitholpc at gmail.com
Tue Nov 18 11:14:20 EST 2008

Hi Pato (espero que no le molesta si uso este nombre),

I'm revisiting an older thread. I read your blog and I think its great!
Congratulations to you and Walter for implementing this and closing the
loop all the way back to the classroom.

I want to see what we have learned about developing software that is
relevant and useful for teachers. I especially want to learn how to make
this happen more often and with more people (programmers, students and
teachers) involved.

I see you have requested two more things:

1.- A Beep function in  TurtleArtwithsensors.
2.- A easy way for to write "Hello word". I received a report about
uruguayan?s kids  writing  letters  with  the turtle?s lines, but this
way is slow and not fun.

These look little more challenging than square root to me :-) I think
they also need better definition to fully understand what you need.

I believe that Walter has taken over maintenance of the Turtle Art
program and that he plans a new release  soon.

You may want to follow up with him to see if he can get these in a
future release. They may need some more definition (e.g. are you asking
for these to work a particular school or class? what are you going to
teach with these features in TurtleArt? when, how and why do you want to
put text in the program etc.)

I'm interested in the details but I think its really up to you and the
programmers (Walter in this case). So I'll just watch if you don't mind
working this out on the list.

BTW I also noticed and followed up on this related thread on the Sur list:
http://lists.laptop.org/pipermail/olpc-sur/2008-October/001145.html

Thanks,

Greg S