[IAEP] [sugar] SugarCamp

David Farning dfarning at sugarlabs.org
Thu Nov 13 12:56:48 EST 2008

On Fri, Nov 14, 2008 at 7:22 AM, Tomeu Vizoso <tomeu at tomeuvizoso.net> wrote:
> Fellow Sugarites,
>
> I must say that I'm pretty much surprised as to how the SugarCamp
> planning is being done. My personal opinion is that SugarLabs is a
> global organization and cannot behave as if it had headquarters in a
> single place because it hasn't. SL contributors are going to travel
> from quite distant places and they should be involved actively in the
> planning.
>
> OLPC has decided that their XOCamp will happen in January, and I think
> that our SugarCamp in November shouldn't be seen as just a prelude to
> that.
>
> OLPC employees can legitimately see SL as a vehicle for their product
> to include more features, so they would be mostly interested in
> technical discussions about those. But I expect the people who share
> the SL goals to be more ambitious and to not forget that Sugar cannot
> stay contained at OLPC's borders. We have the mission to bring Sugar
> to _all_ the kids in the world.
>
> So, talks that IMO are more appropriate for this week, along with
> people I'm most interested in hearing, are:
>
> - How Sugar-on-a-stick can better work for deployments such as the
> ones carried on by http://schoolkey.net (Caroline Meeks)
>
> - How Sugar can better work in a LTSP environment (Brendan Powers)
>
> - How SugarLabs can better work together with teachers (Yamandú Ploskonka)
>
> - How SugarLabs should communicate its message (Greg DeKoenigsberg)
>
> - How SugarLabs can make easier to contribute to it (Mel Chua)
>
> - How SugarLabs could partner with for-profits that work on related
> projects (Collabora on GNOME's telepathy, Nokia on PyMaemo, etc)
> (Robert McQueen)
>
> - How SugarLabs is going to maintain the infrastructure needed to
> support its own operations (Bernie Innocenti)
>
> - How SugarLabs is going to fund its own operations (Walter Bender)
>
> - How SugarLabs is going to govern itself (Walter Bender, David Farning?)
>
> - How SugarLabs is partnering with other organizations (David Farning)
>
> - etc, you get the idea.
>
> I think most of those talks could give material for discussion for at
> least half a day. I really think SL should make progress on
> non-technical areas and that this face-to-face time we are going to
> have is an opportunity that we shouldn't miss.
>
> Regards,
>
> Tomeu

How about wrapping up with a message/mission session lead by Walter
and Greg on Saturday afternoon?  Kind of a here is what we talked
about, here is how it fits into the overall mission of Sugar Labs, and
here is how we communicate that mission via our public message.  That
session can run all of Friday afternoon

Leading into that on Friday we can work on 'playing well with others'.
Staring with Mel and easy to contribute.
Specific example and of partnering by Brenden and Caroline.
General partnering with for-profits by Robert.
General partnering/ local Sugar Labs by Walter and I.
That series of session can run all afternoon and spill over into the
evening for coffee and drinks.

thanks
david