[IAEP] [sugar] Sugar Camp Cambridge 17-21 Nov

Brendan R. Powers brendan at resara.com
Thu Nov 13 01:18:49 EST 2008

Hi,

I did not mean to suggest ripping out telepathy and dbus, and replacing it with xmlrpc. My thought on the subject was that dbus may not be well suited for network communication because it's a binary protocol. The problem comes in when the application on the other side of the tube does not speak native dbus(php or java apps). I think xmlrpc may be a good alternative in this case because it is very simple, and its an established rpc standard on the web. Its also a XMPP standard(XEP 0009). There are several ways you could introduce this without breaking everything in the process, for instance, a new tube type could be created to support xmlrpc, like there is for dbus. That way, applications could choose to use the rpc mechanism that made sense for that app.

I hope to provoke a discussion on how we can leverage the technologies of telepathy, jabber, and other web standards to make sugar a fantastic platform for collaboration with activities, as well as web services.

I'm sorry I didn't make these points clear earlier, as I don't plan on ripping large chunks of sugar's existing infrastructure to peaces:-) I look forward to having a very interesting discussion with everyone next week.