[IAEP] [sugar] Sugar Camp Cambridge 17-21 Nov

Tomeu Vizoso tomeu at tomeuvizoso.net
Wed Nov 12 10:14:16 EST 2008

Hi Rob,

On Wed, Nov 12, 2008 at 2:48 AM, Robert McQueen
<robert.mcqueen at collabora.co.uk> wrote:
> Hi Bernie, Brendan,
>
> Bernie Innocenti wrote:
>> Brendan R. Powers wrote:
>>> I would like to propose a discussion on making the collaboration a bit
>>> more standards compliant. The idea would be to get sugar to function
>>> more like a standard jabber IM client, as well as using existing
>>> standards in place of some of the custom solutions used now (xmlrpc
>>> instead of dbus perhaps?). I would also like to talk about using the
>>> colaboration API to talk to external services not on the jabber
>>> network(a moodle server for instance). As well as a possibly a few
>>> API changes to make these sorts of services easier to access for
>>> activity developers.
>
> Switching to XMLRPC?! This seems like some massive sidestep which would
> break the existing stuff as well as preventing any code sharing between
> Telepathy apps on Sugar and Telepathy apps on any other Linux platforms.
> D-Bus and the Telepathy APIs are the emerging standards for accessing
> real-time communications functionality on Linux desktops and embedded
> devices. It's already in GNOME in the Empathy client, as well as part of
> the GNOME Mobile platform, so Nokia's Maemo and Intel's Moblin
> platforms, and there's ongoing interest in using it in KDE which we hope
> to push forward at the combined Akademy/Guadec next summer.

I actually did read Brendan's proposal as to add some xmlrpc in sugar
so external components for example in the school server could
interface with some aspects of it. But now I realize he said "in
place".

> Well, Guillaume, Daf and previously Simon did most of the actual legwork
> on the actual Telepathy backends which speak Sugar uses to speak XMPP,
> and the more recent work on the Gadget component to aid scalability on
> school servers. We'd be happy to send someone over to chat about this
> kind of thing with the Sugar devs but not only have we not been invited
> to participate at all, we've not heard anything back from OLPC about
> renewing our contract for several weeks now. :(

Well, I don't know about the XOCamp, but everybody has been invited to
the SugarCamp, though I agree with you in that it has been a quite
chaotic process.

I think that telepathy, mission control, etc are components that match
very well with Sugar's architecture, so I think we'd like more of that
rather than less. We have lots to win by keeping ourselves close to
the GNOME community and Collabora employees have been very supportive
during the last two years.

Regards,

Tomeu