[IAEP] Volunteer-driven development of educational software

Greg Smith gregsmitholpc at gmail.com
Tue Nov 11 11:05:03 EST 2008

Hi All,

On the question of Open Source to develop applications which are not
necessarily used by the people who write the code. That is a challenge
which I think we should address directly.

Greg D's strategy (programmers code for themselves then we re purpose it
for schools) may be the most fruitful in terms producing lots of
applications quickly. I certainly hope so.

It still leaves open the question of how to adapt the result for use in
classes and how to tie the applications in to the learning theory. Maybe
that last stage is a job for paid programmers instead of open source
volunteers. As more applications become available for the XO/Sugar we
can see which get the most demand in schools and go from there.

On the other hand, I hope David is correct that we can find people who
will work on things which the teachers and students need, even if they
don't "scratch your own itch". In addition to finding such programmers,
the challenge is to define what teachers and students need in a way that
is easily actionable.

We have lots of input from the field and some input from educational
theorists. The hard part is focusing that in to something easily coded.

There is one nice synergy between the educational theory and the
development strategy. I believe that a tenet of the educational theory
is that teachers and students together choose the most relevant topics
for learning. If programmers and users also follow that strategy of
working together to choose the relevant "topics" maybe we could pioneer
a new paradigm for open source development.

I wrote a brief explanation of this strategy here:
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/User:Gregorio

On the question of asynchronous vs synchronous collaboration. If you
read the beginning of the thread
(http://lists.laptop.org/pipermail/devel/2008-October/020588.html)
you'll see that neither Juliano nor I are opposed to synchronous
collaboration ala "CollAbiWord". Juliano was just pointing out that we
also need asynchronous collaboration (e.g. multi-kid projects) and that
wasn't on the roadmap.

We need both and my impression is that the shortest path to major new
functionality is on the asynchronous side. Any help defining the
requirements and scope of that is welcome.

Please add your input here:
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Feature_roadmap#Asynchronous_collaboration

We need more input on the educational research to see if either
synchronous or asynchronous is better correlated to the theory. Any
pointers or comments welcome.

Clearly the idea of learning by creating projects is central to the
educational strategy  (see
http://dspace.mit.edu/handle/1721.1/41706?show=full).

So is learning by doing and working together. I'm just not sure if it
has to be real time or not.

I can say that the kids love the real time write sharing when it works
and they hate it when it fails. See:
http://lists.laptop.org/pipermail/olpc-sur/2008-May/000118.html
When it worked: "they loved it ... it seemed like magic"
When the collaboration broke: "¡QUË DESILUSIÖN!!!!"

On synchronous collaboration I think the requirements are well defined.
See: http://wiki.laptop.org/go/9.1.0_Collaboration_Requirements and
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Feature_roadmap#Synchronous_Collaboration

Comments welcome.

The challenge with synchronous collaboration is if/when/how we can
support the requirements as defined. Maybe the open source community can
get us over the hump on that...

Thanks,

Greg S