[IAEP] Teams!

David Farning dfarning at sugarlabs.org
Sat Nov 8 12:32:10 EST 2008

Greg,
Thanks for taking the time to put together the well though out list of
concrete improvement that we can make to the wiki.

First the credit.  I idea of teams came from SJ while we were discussing the
relationship between the SL and OLPC wikis.  I was talking about the _best_
place to host different content.  SJ suggested that their was not a best
place.  Rather, he stated a lot of content fits in both places, just from
different _perspectives_.

Hence, the idea of teams or sub communities tackling the Sugar Labs mission
from different angles.

On stubs.  A wiki is an interesting collaborative tool.  The wiki's value is
ultimately as a source of information for readers.  Here we get to the
tricky part.  The wiki is of little value as a source of information until
it contains substantive, well written, and easily located articles.  But,
nobody wants to go through the bother of researching, writing, and
organizing the content until they feel there work would have an impact on
future readers.

Several community theorists advocate 'worse is better' as a starting point
for generating initial content.  As long as a community starts with
'something', that something can gradually improve until it becomes something
useful.

FWIW, when we help the initial wiki barn raising about 6 months ago, we were
averaging (very roughly) about 2 wiki contributions per day.  Now we are up
to about 10 per day.  If we can stay on that rate of increase, we will
exceed 40 contributions per day in another 6 months.

thanks
david