[IAEP] Teams!

Marco Pesenti Gritti mpgritti at gmail.com
Sat Nov 8 07:08:43 EST 2008

On Fri, Nov 7, 2008 at 5:36 PM, Greg Dekoenigsberg <gdk at redhat.com> wrote:
> GENERAL OBSERVATIONS:
>
> * Having every team work mostly the same way is *really* useful.  It allows
> volunteers to move comfortably from team to team.  Seems like the common
> structure indicates that folks kinda get that already.
>
> * Every team needs a leader.  Whether it's a coach or just a star player,
> it helps newcomers *tremendously* to know who the Go-To person is.  At the
> very least, it should be immediately clear, from the very first page, who
> is accountable for moving this team forward.  It is *frequently* unclear
> currently who's leading a team.
>
> * Every team needs a goal.  What's the purpose of your team?  What problem are
> you trying to solve?  It really helps to make these goals *simple* and
> *explicit*.
>
> * Every team needs meetings.  It really helps to relate with your
> teammates real-time, even if it's just on IRC.  To that end, I think that
> a "MEETINGS" tab should be added to the Team Template pages.  Most of the
> functional teams currently have meeting pages, fwiw.
>
> * Every team needs a TODO list, and it's part of the template, which is
> nice -- but what good is a TODO list if there aren't names and dates
> associated with it?
>
> * I love the generic structure of the team pages -- but the details are still
> somewhat lacking in most cases.  :)

Very good points, perhaps we should put them in a wiki page which
explains how to create/run a team? David, what would be the right
place for it?

> ===
>
> SPECIFIC TEAM OBSERVATIONS:
>
> http://sugarlabs.org/go/AccessibiltyTeam
> Ouch.  A link to a wiki that doesn't load, and nothing but blank stub pages.
> Even the URL has a speling errur.  WHO'S THE COACH?
>
> http://sugarlabs.org/go/BuildTeam
> ---------------------------------
> Ouch again.  All empty stubs.  WHO'S THE COACH?

I'd suggest we remove both of them until someone step up to lead them.
Empty stubs just add noise. I'm also unconvince we need a build team
at SL, that's distributions work.

> http://sugarlabs.org/go/DeploymentTeam
> --------------------------------------
> Ah, a bit better.  The home page is full of useful information, including
> meeting times, minutes, and a list of team members.  That's great! Judging from
> the minutes, though, it looks like the meeting was attended by two members in
> early October, perhaps not held in mid-October, and no meeting has yet been
> scheduled for November at all.  Is everything okay with this team?  Looks like
> Walter Bender is the coach here.  Is Walter overextended?  Can someone else
> step up and lead this team?  Or are we considering ditching this team
> altogether in favor of a LoCo model?

I would like to understand the scope and the goals of this team
better. I've seen several things written in the wiki under
DeploymentTeam which didn't quite seem to fit to me. Walter/David can
you clarify?

> http://sugarlabs.org/go/DesignTeam
> ----------------------------------
> A bit of info, but looks like it hasn't taken off yet.  Most of the pages are
> stubs.  If I had to guess, looks like Eben Eliason is the coach here, amirite?
> Seems as though there's been one meeting since September, is that true?  Have
> there been meetings since?  Even if producing formal minutes is painful, maybe
> post IRC logs?

We had a few meetings lately, not sure why Eben didn't post on the
wiki. I'm part of the design team so I'll try to get this one fixed
(mostly by pestering Eben :P)

> http://sugarlabs.org/go/DevelopmentTeam ---------------------------------------
> The most developed, which is not at all surprising, I guess.  :)  Clear that
> Simon and Marco are the leaders here.  Lots of good info on how to participate,
> lots of links in various states of repair, but that's ok. The meetings page is
> absolutely brilliant and extremely well-maintained, with agendas, logs and
> summaries of every meeting for months.  Go Team Go!
> Curious that the TODO list is empty, though.  :)

Will try to get the TODO fixed :)

> http://sugarlabs.org/go/InfrastructureTeam
> Lots of good stuff here.  Looks like Bernie is the man here... right, Bernie?
> Love the links to all supported infrastructure, even though some of them are
> busted.  The TODO list is good, but again -- no owners, no dates?  And the
> Getting Involved section is completely empty!  Booooo! When are your meetings?
> As a side note: IMHO, infrastructure is the *best* way to get geeks involved.
> There are a ton of bored sysadmins out there, and this kind of work is right up
> their alley.  This good be a great technial onramp project for Sugarlabs.

Bernie, what do you think about setting up infrastructure meetings? We
have lots to do in this area and lots of opportunities to get people
involved...

> http://sugarlabs.org/go/ReleaseTeam
> -----------------------------------
> Lots of good info, contact info is clear.  Are there regular meetings? And the
> "Getting Involved" section appears to be a Testing page.  I presume that will
> be deprecated in favor of the actual TestingTeam pages? Is there no other way
> to get involved in release work?
>
> http://sugarlabs.org/go/TranslationTeam

This has been mostly handled by the Developers team (release stuff is
being discussed in those meetings for example. I've been thinking a
lot lately about how to improve our release process to better meet
distributions needs... I will try to get more of my thinking into the
wiki.

> http://sugarlabs.org/go/TestingTeam
> Clearly in progress, clear that dfarning is the owner, the Triage guide is a
> good start, meetings will help here tremendously, and since that's the one
> thing on the TODO list, I'd say that's spot on.  :)

We have been blocked on infrastructure here. Now that we have trac
setup we should start making progresses. Not sure about the owner, is
Simon or David owning this?

Marco