[IAEP] squeak/etoys accepted as free software... (was Re: Sugar on Ubuntu - Summary

Alan Kay alan.nemo at yahoo.com
Fri Nov 7 17:56:44 EST 2008

Sure, I completely agree. And now is a chance to apply the idea that via the Internet "the whole world" is the pool of resources for making and taking care of open and free software.

Seems as though no simple group can handle the scaling implied by having the whole world supply software, even if only one approach is used.

As Jecel pointed out, it is highly unlikely that any distribution group is really looking at any appreciable fraction of the lines of code they are distributing, nor could any such group really handle most bugs (whether dealing with security issues or not). This is in part because most software systems have real problems even being written and debugged (even understood) by their inventors and programmers. Distributors of such software are going to have even more problems understanding and fixing, if they try.

Part of the honest worry about these issues comes from very good reasons not to just trust everyone. But it also seems that e.g. Debian needs to widen its circle of trust to include experts in wider varieties of programming. There are plenty of trustworthy Smalltalkers and Squeakers, and there is absolutely no reason that some should not be on call to deal with perceived problems.

Very best wishes,

Alan