[IAEP] Packaging eToys (was Sugar on Edubuntu)

Gavin Romig-Koch gavin at redhat.com
Fri Nov 7 17:06:48 EST 2008

Greg Dekoenigsberg wrote:

>> Please note that the reason for eToys being kept out of debian "main"
>> is *not* that it is considered non-free.
>>
>> Debian maintains more than 20.000 packages, and eToys as so far been
>> judged too "odd" for Debian to maintain, eg. for patching in case of
>> security issues.
>>
>> Yes, I know that upstream developers of eToys, as most upstream
>> developers of large projects, will find it unnecessary for Debian to
>> take such responsibility in the first place. That Debian can simply rely
>> on upstream to handle bug-fixing including security issues.
>>
>> But Debian wants the ability to handle it on their own. With the help
>> from upstream as needd, but fundamentally have the ability to e.g
>> consider something worthy of fixing that upstream perhaps do not find
>> relevant to fix.
>
> This is going to be a bit of an issue with Fedora as well, to be
> honest. The structure of eToys is very alien to what packagers are
> accustomed to dealing with.  Copying Gavin Romig-Koch... Gavin, now
> that the licensing issues have been worked out, have you started
> working on the Fedora packages?  I wonder if there are any lessons
> that can be shared between Debian and Fedora maintainers in this case.
Yes, I have been working on packaging up Squeak and EToys.   The work is
slow, I don't have much free time.   My work can be found:
http://code.google.com/p/squeak-fedora/

I didn't realize that there actually were Debian packages.  I'll take a
look at them to see what I can learn and borrow from them.

I wasn't aware of Debian's policy requirement to "handle it on their
own".   Greg, does Fedora have a similar policy?    I am perfectly
capable of finding and fixing issues if necessary, but I would not want
to try to second guess the developers of these particular packages about
the suitablity of a particular patch.

The structure of EToys and Squeak is not so much alien, as continuing an
(IMO natural) progression.  With code written in C (and similar) there
is a well understood separation of Source Code, Binary Code, and
Data/Content.   With Python (and similar) one can still see those same
lines, but they are much blurier.   With Squeak and EToys the lines are
almost impossible to see.

-gavin...