[IAEP] Sugar on Ubuntu - Summary

David Farning dfarning at sugarlabs.org
Thu Nov 6 19:50:52 EST 2008

Yesterday we had a long thread about Sugar on Ubuntu which was helpful yet
filled with misunderstandings.

I hope to summarize yesterday's thread, clarify some misunderstandings, and
determine what steps we should do next to help get squeak into Ubuntu Main.

I have cced the participates from yesterday.  Please correct or clarify as
necessary.

Edubuntu in Main-
Edubutu developers are actively discussing if Edubuntu should be in main or
universe.  If it is main, there would be more formal support. If it is in
Universe, there are fewer sized restrictions and a larger body of potential
developers can work on Universe packages.

Squeak in Edubuntu-
The presence of Squeak is not a blocker.  While squeak is a high value
package it is not required in Sugar.

Squeak in Ubuntu Main-
Having Squeak in Ubuntu Main is not a blocker. Edubuntu is based off of
Ubuntu Main but can pull in packages from universe.  The advantages of being
in Main are:
Greater level of support from Ubuntu and Canonical developers - Packages in
Main are fully support for the life for the releases
Ease of distribution - Installation just works.  No need to install Squeak
separately.

Variants of Squeak -
1. Squeak as represented at www.squeak.org

2. Squeak Etoys as represented at www.squeakland.org

'Squeak Etoys is built on top of Squeak and modifies Squeak itself in the
process.  As I understand it Yoshiki and his group have modified it
sufficiently that the only code remaining is considered to be from those
persons who have signed a relicensing agreement.  A version reflecting this
has been or soon will be released, a version of 'Squeak Etoys' that is.'

Sugar uses Squeak Etoys.

Openness Issues-
There are two separate openness issues that downstream _may_ have.

License--
All problematic code has been rewritten in Squeak Etoys 4.0.  From a
licensing perspective the code is clean.

Image--
Currently, Squeak Etoys is distributed as an image or snapshot rather than
source code.  While distributing images is the standard work flow for Squeak
Etoy developers, they are difficult for down stream developers to work with.

thanks
david