[IAEP] [sugar] Sugar on Edubuntu

Morgan Collett morgan.collett at gmail.com
Thu Nov 6 06:14:11 EST 2008

On Thu, Nov 6, 2008 at 12:36, Morgan Collett <morgan.collett at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 6, 2008 at 02:38, Bert Freudenberg <bert at freudenbergs.de> wrote:
>>
>> On 05.11.2008, at 13:55, David Farning wrote:
>>
>>> .One sticking point was the availability of squeak on Ubuntu.  If I
>>> remember this issue was beaten to death before I got involved with SL.
>>
>> I only remember discussion of getting it into Debian, not Ubuntu.
>> Basically, even though the license issues are finally resolved, they
>> did not want to have it in because they do not agree with its current
>> development model:
>>
>> http://lists.laptop.org/pipermail/devel/2008-June/015479.html
>
> Ubuntu syncs from Debian during every development cycle, so if it's in
> debian we get it in Ubuntu with no extra work.
>
> The mail you reference doesn't give all the details but I think I
> remember the issue - building from source: Debian considers packages
> that can't "build from source" to be non-free.
>
> Thanks for the reminder of this issue - I'll take it up on the edubuntu list.

Actually, on digging I found we have etoys and squeak-vm in Ubuntu, in
multiverse - which is the "non-free" repository:
https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/squeak-vm,
https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/etoys

In this state it's not distributable on official Ubuntu CDs, such as
the Edubuntu CD, but it's easily installable.

We'll work on fixing the "non-free" status in the next Ubuntu release
cycle, if possible...

Regards
Morgan