[IAEP] [sugar] Sugar on Edubuntu

Morgan Collett morgan.collett at gmail.com
Thu Nov 6 05:36:07 EST 2008

On Thu, Nov 6, 2008 at 02:38, Bert Freudenberg <bert at freudenbergs.de> wrote:

> On 05.11.2008, at 13:55, David Farning wrote:
>
>> .One sticking point was the availability of squeak on Ubuntu.  If I
>> remember this issue was beaten to death before I got involved with SL.
>
> I only remember discussion of getting it into Debian, not Ubuntu.
> Basically, even though the license issues are finally resolved, they
> did not want to have it in because they do not agree with its current
> development model:
>
> http://lists.laptop.org/pipermail/devel/2008-June/015479.html

Ubuntu syncs from Debian during every development cycle, so if it's in
debian we get it in Ubuntu with no extra work.

The mail you reference doesn't give all the details but I think I
remember the issue - building from source: Debian considers packages
that can't "build from source" to be non-free.

Thanks for the reminder of this issue - I'll take it up on the edubuntu list.

Regards
Morgan