[IAEP] [UW-OLPC] Moodle/Lesson Plans/Courses

Brian Kyle bakyle at wisc.edu
Wed Nov 5 00:31:19 EST 2008

Hi All,

This is mostly a note for content developers and those interested in lesson
plans.  Sugar Labs (i.e. the people behind Sugar, the software to XO's
hardware) has deployed a Moodle server to aggregate lesson plans and courses
developed for Sugar/XOs.  From what I hear, this is something with which
many teachers are both comfortable and familiar.  This database is intended
for communities such as our own!  In the interest of promoting free open
source software (FOSS) and sharing with the community, I would encourage
looking into this website and contributing back to help create build a solid
set of tools for educators.  I know that it has often been mentioned within
our own circles that content holds back implementation.

The website, http://schools.sugarlabs.org/, is free, easy to use, and easy
to create an account for -- I already have.

Welcome to the sugarlabs Moodle, the place to store your online lesson plans
> and courses. The Course categories have been sectioned off into what seem
> the most logical areas, but if there are any inconsistencies, please contact
> moodle at sugarlabs.org.

I have copied this email to the "It's An Education Project" mailing list at
Sugar Labs.  (Sorry guys!  Hopefully this is more info than spam...)  To
introduce ourselves to you, we are a group out of the University of
Wisconsin working in support of the OLPC vision.  You can find a brief
overview of some of what we are organizing thus far at:
http://uwolpc.pbwiki.com.  Although several opportunities are in place in
our local community right now, we have a student org working to continue on
and be a hub for further efforts.  Silas Bernardoni, another UW student, and
I have had the privilege of speaking in person with David Farning both in an
advisory role for as we grow, and with an excitement to partner with in the
future as we mature.

Hopefully everyone here at UW has been well.  Look forward to impending
official updates about our student org formation and cultivation...

Best regards,
Brian

Brian Kyle
One Laptop Per Child, Student Org