[IAEP] November conference (meeting notes)

Mel Chua mel at laptop.org
Tue Nov 4 17:53:01 EST 2008

>>> Monday 17 - Hackfest. Mel: might be a good time to do a "so,
>>> coders in Boston, you've wanted to learn how to help out
>>>
>> This would be hard for Monday.  But the following weekend might work.
>> (Saturday?)
>>

> Saturday is taken by SL planning... :/
It's also the start of Thanksgiving week, which is a holiday that many
US folks (myself included) may be taking off to celebrate with family
and such.

Also, I think the 17th is basically the *perfect* time to have this
event, because it's when new/potential volunteers will *hear about the
project.* We're going to get a lot of people on that date who want to
help. And we should help them help us.

I'm willing to be masochistic and make the arrangements for a "new Sugar
coders hackfest" evening on the 17th, if there are at least 2-3
experienced Sugar/Activity developers who would be willing to be there,
answer questions, run impromptu tutorials, and make tools/patches as
needed to ease the entry route for new coders. (I can't be one of those
developers - I /am/ a new Sugar coder, and want this evening for
partially selfish reasons - I also want to learn!)

What I can do: I can make sure that we have a location with wifi,
projectors, and ready access to food (I probably won't be able to find
food sponsors in 3 weeks), make invitations that we can all send out to
people, keep track of the guest list (including setting an attendance
cap if we have a small location). I can keep track of time/schedules if
we have them, and find some way for everyone to get a nametag. I can
make sure that the location gets set up (chairs, tables, etc.) and taken
down/cleaned-up afterwards, and send thank-you follow up emails after
the event encouraging people to come to the rest of Sugarcamp.

I think that this is all we need, other than people (most importantly
the Sugar devs who can be mentors for the evening). Are there any other
things that would make this hard for Monday?