[IAEP] membership guidelines again

David Farning dfarning at sugarlabs.org
Tue Nov 4 16:16:33 EST 2008

On Wed, Nov 5, 2008 at 2:27 PM, Walter Bender <walter.bender at gmail.com>wrote:

> David,
>
> Thanks for writing this up. Comments/questions in line.
>
> > ---Membership Guidelines---
> >
> > Any contributor who is active in helping Sugar Labs accomplish its
> mission
> > is eligible for membership.
>
> It would be helpful to cite some examples here, e.g.,
> * asking questions is active participation

I don't know(:  A few weeks ago, I was thinking 'two months sustained
participation' now I am leaning towards showing enough interest to put up a
profile and attend a new member session.

> > Individuals who's contributions may become part of downstream projects
> may
> > be asked to sign an Individual Contributors Agreement.
>
> Should we assume this burden or leave it to the downstream projects.
> Can you cite an example?

This is something we need to clarify with the SFC.  If they don't feel it is
necessary we can drop it.

> > ---Membership process---
> >
> > Add profile to wiki.sugarlabs.org .
> >
> > Introduce yourself at a new members session.
>
> The "initial membership" page in the wiki is certainly obsolete at
> this point. But do we want to accumulate a mailing list for things
> like elections? Or just use sugar@ and iaep@?

I should have clarified new member session better.  I was think of adding
new member sessions to existing irc meetings.  That way, new members
interested in design would attend a design a meeting and introduce
themselves.  The existing design team would then get a chance to learn about
the skills and talents of new members.  The same would hold true for other
types of meetings as well.

> > ---Membership philosophy---
> >
> > The public profiles and introductions are not a trial. They are chance
> for
> > new members to share their portfolios, skills, and interests.
>
> nice.
>
> > ---Membership bylaws---
> >
> > Membership Types - Sugar Labs has two type of memberships; Individual and
> > Partner. Individual memberships are merit based. Organizational
> memberships
> > are financially based.
> >
> > Individual Member - The core of Sugar Labs will be composed of individual
> > members. Individual members can run for the Oversight Board,vote in board
> > elections, and issue or endorse a referendum.
> >
> > Partners – Partners are organizations that participate in, and want to
> show
> > support for, the Sugar Labs ecosystem. Partners can appoint a
> representative
> > to sit on the Advisory Board.
> >
> > Membership Requirements - Membership is a statement of share goals
> between a
> > members and Sugar Labs.
> >
> > Individual - Individual membership is a sign of shared goals with the
> Sugar
> > Labs ecosystem. It is a sign of active involvement in Sugar Labs.
> >
> > Partner - Partnership is a sign of support for the Sugar Labs ecosystem.
> > Partners are asked to publicly commit help helping Sugar Labs. The
> requested
> > commitment fees will vary depending on the annual revenues, type, and
> > location of headquarters of an organization.
> >
> > Membership Benefits - In return for their contributions, members are
> > rewarded with authority and responsibility
> >
> > Individual
> >
> > Can run for the Oversight Board,vote in board elections, and issue or
> > endorse a referendum.
> >
> > Will receive an @sugarlabs.org e-mail alias that forwards to their real
> > e-mail.
> >
> > Can print business cards with the Sugar Labs logo.
> >
> > Can Syndication their blog on Planet Sugar Labs.
> >
> > Partner
> >
> > Can sit on the Advisory Board.
> >
> > Can participate in Sugar Labs committees, where specifications and
> > guidelines are developed and where discussions are conducted;
> >
> > Can use the Sugar Labs branding on their Web site and to participate in
> > press releases.
> >
> > Receive public recognition on the Sugar Labs website.
> >
> > Membership Duration and Renewal
> >
> > Individual
> >
> > Individual Membership is for one year.
> >
> > Individual members can renew their membership annually.
>
> Opt in or opt out?

I was thing opt in.

> > Partner
> >
> > Partnership is for one year.
> >
> > Partners must be renewed annually.
> >
> > Membership Termination - Memberships may be terminated by lack of current
> > participation or removal by the membership.
> >
> > Voluntary
> >
> > An Individual member will be remove from the membership roles if they
> fail
> > to renew their membership.
> >
> > An Individual member may resign their membership at any time.
> >
> > Involuntary -- An Individual membership may be revoke by an affirmative
> vote
> > of a two-thirds majority of the members of the Foundation.

thanks
david