[IAEP] [sugar] Sugar on Ubuntu LiveUSB is ready

Caroline Meeks caroline at solutiongrove.com
Sat Nov 1 11:50:53 EDT 2008

Ok! I got this to work. thank you Ubuntu developers but talk about screwing
in your own seat!

Is there an easier way to help people create USBs? On SLAX we created a zip
file then there was a boot file (2 versions actually one for linux and one
for windows) that is run to make the stick bootable:
http://schoolkey.net/wiki/creating-keys

Is there a way I can I copy my USB and make the new one bootable so I don't
have to go through the whole process again?

The USB boots up to Sugar, which is what I want. Is there a way for me to
also access the underlying Ubuntu?

Here is my feedback on making the existing directions more friendly.

   1. Download the stock
ubuntu-8.04.1-desktop-i386.iso<http://releases.ubuntu.com/hardy/ubuntu-8.04.1-desktop-i386.iso>and
burn it

Yup, I can do this.

   1. Boot from this CD and from there, use
LiveUSB<http://klik.atekon.de/liveusb>to copy the system to USB stick
(use a stick with 1-2 GB capacity as
   problems have been reported with larger ones)

Ok so when you follow this link you eventually end up at this page.
http://ppa.launchpad.net/probono/ubuntu/pool/main/l/liveusb/

Please provide instructions on exactly what to download. I picked
liveusb_0.1.1_all.deb<http://ppa.launchpad.net/probono/ubuntu/pool/main/l/liveusb/liveusb_0.1.1_all.deb>
Then also provide instructions on exactly what the user should do to install
it.  I fumbled around and eventually it opened, but I couldn't actually tell
someone else how to do it.
Then provide instruction on exactly which options to set.  I picked both
persistence and flash and the flash ended up giving me an error.

   1. If you use the persistence option, you need to replace
   casper/initrd.gz on the stick with the bugfixed
initrd.gz<http://dev.laptop.org/%7Eprobono/sbuntu/initrd.gz>provided
here.

The Casper direction is write protected. Please provide instructions on how
to deal with that.
What is this? Why am I doing it?

   1. Add the file
sugar.squashfs<http://dev.laptop.org/%7Eprobono/sbuntu/sugar.squashfs>to
the directory casper/ on the USB stick

Again the write protection on Casper made this more of a challenge then
might be expected.

On Fri, Oct 31, 2008 at 12:19 AM, David Farning <dfarning at sugarlabs.org>wrote:

> It looks like our friends at Ubuntu have been hard at work building a
> Subuntu live usb.  Simon Peter, also know as probono, has posted information
> on downloading and building the usb at
>
> http://dev.laptop.org/~probono/sbuntu/<http://dev.laptop.org/%7Eprobono/sbuntu/>
>
> Thanks to the Ubuntu SugarTeam for packaging Sugar on Ubuntu and to Probono
> for building the sugar.squashfs.
>
> David

Caroline Meeks
Solution Grove