[IAEP] [sugar] Sucrose 0.83.1 Development Release

Tomeu Vizoso tomeu at tomeuvizoso.net
Sat Nov 1 06:27:10 EDT 2008

On Fri, Oct 31, 2008 at 9:30 PM, S Page <info at skierpage.com> wrote:
> Simon Schampijer wrote:
>> This is our first Development Release in the 0.84 cycle. The code base
>> has seen many refactoring efforts to improve the platform.
>
> Will OLPC joyride builds pick up the new Sucrose?

Sure. Hopefully soon.

>> Furthermore the datastore has been rewritten, to simplify and improve
>> maintainability. The API has been kept in place.
>
> What happens when you upgrade an XO with the old datastore?

The old datastore will be updated to the new format.

> What happens if you then downgrade it?

You lose.

>> Sugar moved to use Gconf as a back end to store the profile.
> When you upgrade an XO, does it import your old profile
> (~olpc/.sugar/default/config)?

Yup.

> What happens if you then downgrade?

You will be prompted to enter again a name, choose a color, etc.

>> An ABI policy has been figured out and modules have been marked as
>> STABLE / UNSTABLE / DEPRECATED.
> Where are they marked, in the .py files?

Yes, in the docstrings so it should make it to places like
http://api.sugarlabs.org

>> == Fructose news ==
>
> Are the new activity versions backwards-compatible with 8.2?  If so, the
> maze of Activity lists should be updated.

Most of them yes, a notable exception is Browse because depends on
xulrunner and hulahop. Read has the same issue, but evince hasn't been
updated (yet) so for now it should work.

> Currently http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Activities/Joyride pulls in
> Activities/G1G1 , as does Activities/G1G1/8.2, and that list still
> references old versions -- Browse 98 not 100, Read 52 not 60, etc. --
> even though the links say "Browse (latest)".

Who could take care of this?

>> Full Release Notes:
>> http://sugarlabs.org/go/ReleaseTeam/Releases/Sucrose/0.83.1
> Maybe you could address these questions in a ==Compatibility== section
> in the release notes.

Yes, I agree this is an important issue that should be given greater
relevance in the release notes.

> The changes and fixes sound excellent!

More coming!

Thanks,