[IAEP] Funding - Full-time educator needed for Sugarlabs

Costello, Rob R Costello.Rob.R at edumail.vic.gov.au
Fri May 30 15:50:03 CEST 2008

for effective learning of tech materials, the HeadFirst stuff seems to
have a lot of runs on the board -
eg this summary of the learning theory involved in the production of
their popular programming texts is interesting

http://headrush.typepad.com/creating_passionate_users/2006/01/crash_cour
se_in.html

great style for getting started for many people - and for kids learning
something new, the general approaches work pretty well I reckon  -

The e-toys tutorials, scratch tutorials etc, are like this - give an
easy heads up for getting started - and for some of these concepts and
approaches (using IT to enrich approaches to maths / science /
modelling) , getting started is the key - a low threshold to get
something

can complement with more detailed references later

cheers

rob

Of
> Edward Cherlin
> Sent: Friday, 30 May 2008 7:44 PM
> To: Andreas.Trawoeger at wgkk.at
> Cc: its.an.education.project; Bryan Berry
> Subject: Re: [IAEP] Funding - Full-time educator needed for Sugarlabs
>
> On Thu, May 29, 2008 at 10:30 AM,  <Andreas.Trawoeger at wgkk.at> wrote:
> >
> > "Bill Kerr" <billkerr at gmail.com> schrieb am 29.05.2008 14:25:11:
> >>
> >> by my reading of innovative and really useful software development
> >> the basis has never been the felt needs of teachers -- I'm not
> >> dumping on teachers (I am a teacher) here, it arises from the logic
> >> of their over worked and locked in (to "the system") situation
> >
> > Problem is that everybody is locked into some kind of system :-((
> >
> > Developers tend to have a very precise and effective way to
communicate
> with
> > each other using a lot of neologism and abbreviations. They also
tend to
> be
> > able to explain things reasonably well to non developers. But what
can
> drive
> > people nuts is that there is no common understanding between
developers
> how
> > to explain things coherently.
> >
> > I'm pretty sure that if you randomly ask 10 developers from a OLPC
> mailing
> > for an explanation for things like firmware, gui, api, mesh, kernel
each
> of
> > them will give you a reasonable answer. But put together it's highly
> likely
> > that the answers will be very confusing, because each description
will
> be
> > quite different from the other.
>
> The Blind Men and the Elephant, of course.
>
> > Which often leads to a situation where the developers are annoyed
how
> much
> > XYZ lags behind in using current technologies and XYZ is annoyed in
how
> much
> > the developers are behind in explaining their stuff in plain
English.