[IAEP] Funding - Full-time educator needed for Sugarlabs

Andreas.Trawoeger at wgkk.at Andreas.Trawoeger at wgkk.at
Thu May 29 19:30:43 CEST 2008

"Bill Kerr" <billkerr at gmail.com> schrieb am 29.05.2008 14:25:11:

> by my reading of innovative and really useful software development
> the basis has never been the felt needs of teachers -- I'm not
> dumping on teachers (I am a teacher) here, it arises from the logic
> of their over worked and locked in (to "the system") situation

Problem is that everybody is locked into some kind of system :-((

Developers tend to have a very precise and effective way to communicate
with each other using a lot of neologism and abbreviations. They also tend
to be able to explain things reasonably well to non developers. But what
can drive people nuts is that there is no common understanding between
developers how to explain things coherently.

I'm pretty sure that if you randomly ask 10 developers from a OLPC mailing
for an explanation for things like firmware, gui, api, mesh, kernel each
of them will give you a reasonable answer. But put together it's highly
likely that the answers will be very confusing, because each description
will be quite different from the other.

Which often leads to a situation where the developers are annoyed how much
XYZ lags behind in using current technologies and XYZ is annoyed in how
much the developers are behind in explaining their stuff in plain English.

So I would definitely say that Sugarlabs needs a full-time educator and I
think one of his or her major tasks will be to get more coherency into how
we communicate things to each others.

cu andreas