[IAEP] OT - subjunctive (was Re: Funding - Full-time educator needed for Sugarlabs)

Martin Dengler martin at martindengler.com
Thu May 29 04:55:19 CEST 2008

Were[1,2] I a contributor to past on-topic discussions, I would feel
less mean in seconding (what I think is) your response[3] and say that
alt.usage.english is over there ----> [4] and that one might at least
constructively nitpick with useful info/links[5] (though there was a
smiley!).  And were I of the same mind as Maughaum[6], I would be
happy to hear that the subjunctive mood doesn't really exist[7] so
perhaps we needn't even have this discussion.  It may be that
designing a constructivist lesson about a verb mood that doesn't exist
would require some notable example of recursion.

Martin

1. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subjunctive#Demise_of_the_subjunctive.3F
2. http://alt-usage-english.org/excerpts/fxsubjun.html
3. http://www.quotationspage.com/quote/1797.html
4. http://groups.google.com/group/alt.usage.english/topics
5. http://alt-usage-english.org/eusitesearch.html
6. http://www.englishforums.com/English/ConfusedWithVerbs/2/zkpzd/Post.htm#471258
7. http://alt-usage-english.org/subjunctive_supplement.html

PS.  Yeah, if it were not so late here you probably wouldn't be
deleting this message now.