[IAEP] Funding - and governance

Greg Dekoenigsberg gdk at redhat.com
Wed May 28 20:48:30 CEST 2008

On Wed, 28 May 2008, Bert Freudenberg wrote:

> On 28.05.2008, at 10:42, Seth Woodworth wrote:
>
>> I've been trying to wrap my brain around this idea for content-based
>> projects.  I've had a few people that I respect take the same stance
>> as Jim.  Mako wrote a pretty good article on the subject a few years
>> ago that I think has some bearing on the situation:
>>
>> http://mako.cc/writing/funding_volunteers/funding_volunteers.html
>
> That article is spot-on. These paragraphs describe what many volunteers feel
> with respect to OLPC - despite of many OLPC employees at 1cc trying to be as
> open as possible, even using irc to chat if they sit in the same room etc:
> ============
>
> When the consortium was created, paid programmers were moved into a single
> office. It was now quicker and more efficient to discuss a new feature or a
> design decision at a whiteboard or blackboard or over the top of the cubicle.
> Development became quicker and more efficient for people who worked in the
> office and more difficult to track, follow, and participate in for anyone
> working from remote or who had less time to devote.
>
> Part of being "more equal than others" was having easier access to
> information and status and to the other people working on the project. While
> the project was still "open" to contributions from its community, volunteers
> had a more a difficult time following the project's development.
>
> =============
>
> We must avoid a similar situation with Sugar Labs. There are no plans to
> stuff developers into one office, they are paid by different entities for
> now, so there is no immediate danger. Btt the planning forward should take
> this into account.

Mako draws some wrong conclusions, I think, in this draft.

It is not the paid-ness of full-time engineers that causes problems.  It
is the tendency to form a cabal which causes problems.  This tendency can
be mitigated, if you have the right people and processes in place.

Fedora is clear evidence -- to me, anyway -- that an engineering
organization that contains both paid staff and unpaid volunteers can
prosper -- so long as the paid staff is fully engaged in supporting the
volunteer staff, and understands the potential pitfalls and how to avoid
them.

Case in point: the migration of the Fedora project wiki from MoinMoin to
Mediawiki -- a *HUGE* undertaking -- was handled primarily by a handful of
people. Primarily Mike McGrath, former volunteer and now leader of the
Fedora infrastructure team, a guy who takes community technical leadership
*very* seriously -- but substantially by the community, including two high
school kids who did a *tremendous* amount of heavy lifting.

--g