[IAEP] Funding - and governance

Seth Woodworth seth at isforinsects.com
Wed May 28 13:37:08 CEST 2008

<snip>

>  Basically, develop and
> release Sugar in partnership with the community, and sell deployment
> and customization services to pay for the core developers.  The core
> developers do deployment work regularly, meaning they have direct
> contact with clients (i.e. real educators), and the project can afford
> to stay independent of outside interests.  The community has to trust
> the core team's vision, but now that Sugar Labs is independent of OLPC
> and Walter is in charge (right?) I doubt that will be an issue.
>
> Best,
> Wade

OLPC would be the go-to candidate to hire services from Sugarlabs.  Which
doesn't actually make sense at all, and probably has absolutely no bearing
on the conversation.

But the VIA OpenBook has CC licensed a lot of the hardware for their
referance design.  Sugar wouldn't exactly be a bad option for the machines,
even if they are awful high powered comparitively.