[IAEP] Funding - and governance

Bert Freudenberg bert at freudenbergs.de
Wed May 28 11:53:45 CEST 2008

On 28.05.2008, at 10:42, Seth Woodworth wrote:

> I've been trying to wrap my brain around this idea for content-based
> projects.  I've had a few people that I respect take the same stance
> as Jim.  Mako wrote a pretty good article on the subject a few years
> ago that I think has some bearing on the situation:
>
> http://mako.cc/writing/funding_volunteers/funding_volunteers.html

That article is spot-on. These paragraphs describe what many
volunteers feel with respect to OLPC - despite of many OLPC employees
at 1cc trying to be as open as possible, even using irc to chat if
they sit in the same room etc:
============

When the consortium was created, paid programmers were moved into a
single office. It was now quicker and more efficient to discuss a new
feature or a design decision at a whiteboard or blackboard or over the
top of the cubicle. Development became quicker and more efficient for
people who worked in the office and more difficult to track, follow,
and participate in for anyone working from remote or who had less time
to devote.

Part of being "more equal than others" was having easier access to
information and status and to the other people working on the project.
While the project was still "open" to contributions from its
community, volunteers had a more a difficult time following the
project's development.

We must avoid a similar situation with Sugar Labs. There are no plans
to stuff developers into one office, they are paid by different
entities for now, so there is no immediate danger. Btt the planning
forward should take this into account.

Thanks for forwarding this essay.

- Bert -