[IAEP] Project hosting

Bernie Innocenti bernie at codewiz.org
Tue May 27 23:19:22 CEST 2008

David Farning wrote:
> Without clear purposes and responsibilities, _both_ projects suffer.
>>From reading the archives of this mailing list and the wiki, I had come
> to the conclusion that the purpose of Sugar Labs was to develop a
> software stack that could be passed on to others for customization and
> distribution.
>
> On the other hand, OLPC is going to receive the Sugar stack from Sugar
> Labs and customize it for their machines.  OPLC will be able focus on
> developing new laptops and deploying them.
>
> This does not require duplication of infrastructure. Rather, it requires
> a clear allocation of infrastructure between the two organization.
>
> The splitting off of SLs from OPLC allows two different cultures to
> develop.  OLPC can remain a bit more closed.  Hardware development and
> negotiating contracts and inherently more closed.
>
> Sugar Labs can be more open, in the nature of KDE or Gnome.
>
>>From a philosophical perspective, it does not matter who hosts what as
> long as it is clear to everyone who is responsible for what.

+1 on everything you said.

> >From a practical perspective, I don't know enough about the relationship
> between OLPC and Sugar Labs to have a valid opinion on the
> infrastructure should be set up.

Perhaps it's a bit too early to ask an official statement of
endorsement to OLPC.

First, we need to prove our ability to produce good deliverables
for them with our development model.  And, realistically, getting
an open source project to its full maturity might take some time.

--
   \___/  Bernie Innocenti - http://www.codewiz.org/
  _| X |  Sugar Labs Team  - http://www.sugarlabs.org/