[IAEP] Project hosting

Ivan Krstić krstic at solarsail.hcs.harvard.edu
Tue May 27 09:42:31 CEST 2008

On May 26, 2008, at 9:43 PM, Bernie Innocenti wrote:
> I think this is advanced stuff.  For now, we'd be content with a
> running sugar-jhbuild installing in a local directory that gets
> wiped out regularly.

The setup I described isn't very complicated in practice, but if there
are easier things that will accomplish the desired testing goals, I'm
all for setting those up first.

The nice thing about using a VM solution is that it naturally scales
to encompass different distributions and entire operating systems,
including Windows. At the moment, cross-distro Sugar testing is fairly
ad-hoc, and while we know Sugar won't directly run on Windows for any
interesting value of "run", I don't think we know which _components_
-- if any -- do build and run on that platform. Same for OS X.

I envision the _end_ goal for Sugar integration testing along the
lines of every commit to Sugar git master triggering a clean build on,
say, the stable and bleeding-edge versions of the 3 top Linux
distributions, and Windows and OS X. An IRC bot on #sugar could throw
out a warning for any build failures (I imagine those for the last two
OSes listed would be initially muted), and provide web-browsable logs.

Does this agree with what other people had in mind, and is it worth
working towards it as a goal? Marco, Tomeu, etc -- what would you find
most useful?

--
Ivan Krstić <krstic at solarsail.hcs.harvard.edu> | http://radian.org