[IAEP] Project hosting

Bernie Innocenti bernie at codewiz.org
Tue May 27 02:56:45 CEST 2008

[cc += titus, mstone, cjb]

C. Scott Ananian wrote:
> On 5/26/08, C. Scott Ananian <cscott at cscott.net> wrote:
>> On 5/26/08, Bernie Innocenti <bernie at codewiz.org> wrote:
>>  > Would anyone want git hosting for their activities and projects
>>  >  within sugarlabs.org?
>>  >
>>  >  Just a survey, not an offer.  We still need to discuss where
>>  >  to host projects physically.
>>
>> I want to see a sugarlabs build server!  Pretty please?

We're very interested too!  We just didn't find the time yet.

Some time ago, Marco asked Titus Brown, who was previously
setup a demo buildbot for Sugar.  Titus had offered to send
us his configuration and run a build slave too.

Ivan's host, being a SPARC Ubuntu box, was not well suited to
be the primary buildbot.  Our primary platform is still
Fedora i386, although it would be beneficial to set up slaves
for other distros too if we really want

If no one steps forward, I'll work on the master setup work
next week when we come back from Linux Tag.  Michael and Chris
are Cc'd in an attempt to catch their interest, considering
their past experience with automated testing.

> In particular, I'd like to see a 'continuous integration' service,
> similar to that sketched out in http://dev.laptop.org/ticket/5279.
>
> Since you're sugarlabs, you can targetting this at the latest sugar
> repository commits, and broaden the scope beyond the XO-1 to
> automatically creating and testing Debian/Ubuntu/Fedora packages,
> emulator builds, and/or live cds.

Yes, this was pretty much what I had in mind too: use the buildbot
to spit out live images and packages nightly.

> OLPC is not going to have the resources to do this for some months
> yet: hopefully this is a point where the sugarlabs community can step
> up & pitch in.

If OLPC could devolve some CPU time to it, it would be great.
But I'm afraid a plain user account will not suffice here:
whoever runs the show needs to properly 0wn the box in order
to be able to install packages and tweak the

--
   \___/  Bernie Innocenti - http://www.codewiz.org/
  _| X |  Sugar Lalbs Team - http://www.sugarlabs.org/