[IAEP] Constructionism

Martin Sevior msevior at gmail.com
Sun May 25 04:39:55 CEST 2008

On Sat, May 24, 2008 at 6:23 PM, Bert Freudenberg
<bert at freudenbergs.de> wrote:If let go freely, kids will be
> eager to teach each other new discoveries, they happily help each other, and
> they learn at their own pace (which is why mixed-age classes work so well).

I have some first hand evidence that mixed age classes do not always
work  particularly well.

When dealing with something as amorphous as education such
generalizations can quickly become dogma.

There are schools here in Australia that dogmatically pursue multi-age
classrooms to the deteriment of some of their children. These children
leave those schools leaving the ones who cope well in this situation.

Such schools then loudly crow about how well their school works,
leading to the next educational fad.