[IAEP] Core Sugar framework now in Debian Testing!

Morgan Collett morgan.collett at gmail.com
Fri May 23 14:01:27 CEST 2008

On Fri, May 23, 2008 at 12:32 PM, Jonas Smedegaard <dr at jones.dk> wrote:

> On Thu, May 22, 2008 at 04:39:19PM -0600, Debian testing watch wrote:
>>FYI: The status of the sugar source package
>>in Debian's testing distribution has changed.
>>
>>  Previous version: (not in testing)
>>  Current version:  0.79.4-2
>
> All core Sugar packages are now in Debian Testing!
>
> With "core" I mean all Sugar software except activities themselves.
>
> (upstream have no clear definition of "core" - it seems they agree that
> Sugar should always include some activities, but does not agree on some
> common default "core" set of activities...)

You must have missed the recent activity on the sugar list... Sugar as
an upstream project now has designated "demo" activities which distros
can choose to bundle.

http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Taxonomy gives names to different
components in the stack which as been known in whole or part as
"Sugar". Fructose now refers to the activities bundled with Sugar.

http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Modules lists Sugar components,
dependencies and these activities.

http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Release shows how releases are done of
the Sugar (I mean, Glucose) modules and Fructose activities.

http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Roadmap shows the planned release
strategy for the next few months.

> We need more activities packaged! Please speak up if you are interested
> in helping out.

I haven't done packaging before - it's always been on my TODO list to
learn. I run Ubuntu, but I'm interested in getting involved (with the
view to making sure Ubuntu releases with the appropriate versions of
the various components). Please remind me where your documentation is,
and what list to join. I think we should have a page on the sugarlabs
wiki tracking each distro's packaging.

I helped test Jani's Ubuntu packages before the hardy release.
Unfortunately I only realised days before the release that the sugar
versions included were not the most appropriate versions: taken from a
different branch to the stable release. While it looks the same as the
stable release (0.75.x in build 703) there are differences, which may
mean bugs in the Ubuntu version (0.79.0) which were fixed in the
0.75.x series after that release. So I really want to see distro
releases (especially Ubuntu) having the most appropriate versions of
the Sugar stack.

We are not OpenSSL, but... I do think it is important that we maintain
good communication with distro packagers to assist in this.

Regards
Morgan